To live is Christ, to die is gain: Take up your cross and follow him!
Summer Reading Suggestions
Get wisdom, get insight (Proverbs 4:5).
It is the time of year when Karen and I share some summer reading suggestions. We do so hoping that you will discover afresh the soul-shaping, wisdom-forming delights of reading good books individually and with others.
I want to preface our list with a shameless plug for one of the best things about the Stone Hill app: Readers’ Reviews. If you open up RR, you will find a set of reviews written by various people in our congregation. All kinds of books are there, as some recent reviews demonstrate:
· The latest whodunit by John Grisham, Camino Island;
· A classic kid’s book, Little House in the Big Woods, reviewed by none other than Charlotte Wells (age 8);
· Miraculous Movements: How Hundreds of Thousands of Muslims Are Falling in Love with Jesus, reviewed by Pastor Tracy;
· The Geography of Bliss: One Grump’s Search for the Happiest Places in the World, reviewed by Megan Misiewicz;
· Sonia Sotomayor: My Beloved World, reviewed by Danielle Sallade.
So check out RR! And now, here are four more suggestions from Karen and me:
Picking up on the technology theme from the year verse for Stone Hill, consider reading either (or both) of these crisp, insightful, balanced books:
· The Tech-Wise Family, by Andy Crouch (Amazon: $9.93 hardcover; $8.43 digital). We love this book. It offers practical advice on how to find the proper place for technology in your home. Plus, it combines the input of the whole Crouch family (Mom, Dad, two teens).
· 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You, by Tony Reinke (Amazon: $10.87 paperback; $8.54 digital). Find out more about how your smart phone is impacting you—for good and for bad—and what you can do about it.
Here are two very different recommendations: books with very short chapters to be read a chapter a day over the course of a month or so:
Draw the Circle: The 40 Day Prayer Challenge, by Mark Batterson (Amazon: $10.34 paperback; $9.99 digital). An inspiring way to gain vision and momentum in your prayer life.
Praying through the Names of God, by Tony Evans (Amazon: $10.44 paperback; $9.92 digital). Go deeper with God by praying around his many different names found in Scripture.