When Jesus was baptized by John, the Father declared, “This is my Beloved Son.”
Praying for pastors (the second of three parts)
Two Sundays ago I presented some myths about the work of a pastor. My purpose was to encourage understanding and fervent prayer for the spiritual leaders of our church. Frankly, I need your regular prayers. My feet are made of clay, just like yours, and there are days when the responsibilities I face seem beyond me. That’s not a bad place to be, since it’s in times like them that we truly learn that Christ’s grace is sufficient for us, and that his power is made perfect in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).
Each and every one of us faces challenges in our different vocations. I don’t want to sound like those of our pastoral staff are somehow extraordinary. But given that the church is, at bottom, a spiritual body with designated leaders, I think it’s wise for us to pray for our spiritual leaders. So what follows is the first half of a weekly prayer guide for the pastoral staff. The guide is not original to me; it was originally written by Darold Lyles of Northside Baptist Church in Murfreesboro, TN. I’ve presented most of what he wrote and related it to me; you can make adjustments as you pray for the different members of our pastoral staff.
SUNDAY: I pray for my pastor as a PREACHER-TEACHER
· I pray that Christ may be lifted up through him and his words.
· I pray that he may experience the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
· I pray that lives will be changed through his preaching.
MONDAY: I pray for my pastor as a SERVANT-LEADER
· I pray that he may lead his staff and family with the wisdom, direction, and sensitivity that only the Holy Spirit can give.
· I pray that he will offer guidance to the leaders of the church that brings unity, shared vision, and the will of God.
TUESDAY: I pray for my pastor as a PERSON (2 Timothy 2:1-7).
· I pray for his spiritual, physical, and emotional health; I also pray for a Sabbath rest this week.
· I pray for him in his roles of husband, father, brother, friend, citizen.
· I pray that temptations, the devil, or the things of earth will not overtake his heart with lies, undue preoccupation, or misplaced priorities.
Adult Ed: “Science and the Bible: Ways to Look at the Two Great Revelations of God”: Is led by Andy & Pat Bocarsly at 9:30 a.m. in Harris Hall. The final class will be held on February 18th.
Adult Ed: “Jeremiah”: Is led by John Wilsey at 9:30 a.m. in the Library.
Donations for Haiti: The Haiti team is collecting personal care items to take to Haiti during the March missions trip. For a full list of items, please pick up a donation list at the missions area. Other items not listed include specific ink cartridges and Spanish dictionaries. For details, contact Lara Holt email@example.com. Collection runs February 18 through March 4. Drop your donations off at the Missions Corner. Thank you!
Welcome Desk: We are seeking volunteers to help out at the welcome desk on Sundays. Please contact Jonathan Chun at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to serve.
Easter Project 2018: Sign up to receive a devotion, via email, on each of the 40 days leading up to Easter, Monday through Saturday. To sign up complete the form on https://tinyurl.com/y8djr497 or email email@example.com.