God relentlessly pursues us in spite of our sin.
Sunday, August 2, 2020
Order of worship:
We saw three realities of God in Jonah 1:
- God’s commands are good and He is good even when they don’t make sense to us.
- God pursues us through His sovereign storms and brings good even in difficulties.
- God substituted Himself in our place, He took God’s wrath and demonstrates His mercy and grace to us in His death for us.
- Which reality of God is more difficult for you to hold onto when you are under pressure? (Goodness, Sovereignty, Substitution)
- Why is this reality of God hard for you to hold onto?
- There is a sense that God substituting Himself for us is foundational to believing that God is good and He is in control.
- How can you practically keep God’s substitutionary death front and center for your functional identity and your understanding of who God is?
- Is there something that God has been asking you to do that you are not presently obeying? Are you like Jonah today?
- Are you facing a storm right now? What is it? Is God trying to get your attention?