God shows loving kindness to His people in their suffering.
Sunday, February 7, 2021
Order of worship:
- What are all the losses listed in the opening verses of Ruth?
- Discuss the significance of each of them for the lives of the people involved. Are there modern day equivalents?
- Are you or someone you know going through a similar season?
- How has the experience of loss and suffering affected your outlook towards faith in the past? How about now?
- Approximately ⅓ of the Psalms are songs of lament. Read Psalm 6.
- What is the significance of God inspiring lament towards him as part of holy Scripture?
- What are current cultural expressions of lament and how do they compare with the examples in Scripture?
- What is the difference between lamenting and being critical or cynical?
- Naomi says in 1:13, “The hand of the Lord has gone out against me…”
- Imagine she directed this statement to you. How would you want to answer her?
- What does Ruth’s response teach us about how to respond to lament in the community of faith?
- Ruth shows loyalty to the one who laments.
- What does this act teach us about God’s character in Jesus?
- Who is suffering around you, that God is calling you to be loyal to? In your group? In your work or home environment?
- What is one action step you can do this week to demonstrate that loyalty to the person?