Family of Families
Our children's programs are designed to work alongside you, to guide your children into a life-long relationship with Jesus Christ and his church. We are keenly aware that spiritual life is a heart-transforming work accomplished only by God's Spirit. Every ministry is centered in that truth and we look to God to use us to call a new generation of disciples to come and follow Him. We understand that children are disciples-in-the-making.
We are not just interested in your children. We want to help you lovingly and confidently model God's parenting. If you are feeling overwhelmed in your responsibilities, underequipped to teach and disciple, or just want to connect with other parents for help, advice and fellowship, get in touch with us.
We believe that even young children can understand and participate in worship. Children's Sunday School meets during the 9:30 service. During the 11:10 service, children aged 4 through Grade 3 sit with their parents until the offering; those that do not wish to stay for the sermon then proceed to Children's Church. Here, in a child-friendly environment, children meet and worship God through songs, prayer and Bible stories. They are encouraged to have their own experience where faith can be nurtured and where they are prepared to join in the full life of the Stone Hill Church of Princeton congregation.
What's my child learning at the 9:30 Sunday school?
Age 1 – 2 ½: Children are introduced to Bible stories. We cover one Bible story each month. Some of the key themes are God as Creator, God as Protector, God’s great love, and God is powerful.
Age 2 ½ -3: The 2 1/2 - 3 year-old class will be covering the following this year:
Fall - Samuel (prayer & obedience) and God's house (giving & service)
Winter - Jesus 's life (baby, growing boy, and adult),
Spring - Easter stories & gratitude
Summer - Moses stories & various Bible helpers-Scripture Press curriculum
PreK: This year, our preKindergarten class will learn 40 main stories of the Bible through story and pictures. Learn more by going to Walk with Me Curriculum
Kindergarten & 1st Grade: Both these classes follow the same curriculum looking this year at what it means to be a part of God's family, following God's direction, learning about Jesus and what it means to walk with HIm. Learn more at www.dwellcurriculum.org.
2nd Grade looks this year at God's amazing rescue plan of salvation through Jesus. By looking at God's daring mission, Jesus' amazing power and love, and the Holy Spirit's power to changes lives, our second graders will be challenged to take a deeper step of faith. You can learn more at www.dwellcurriculum.org.
3rd Graders: By third grade, we know children are eager and ready to learn deeper concepts that emerge from the Bible. The year focus is on the names of God in the Bible and how they reveal truths about God's character. For more information, go to www.childrendesiringgod.org.
4th & 5th Graders: Each of these grades meet seperately but study the same topic. This year begins with an overview of Church History. This unit leads into another unit that explains the unique distinctives of Stone Hill Church (protestant, non-denominational, biblical). From there, we will challenge our students to discover the gifts God has given them to share with the church. Winter introduces units on world religions, Justice and loving our neighbors. Our spring units are on prayer and reading the Bible. It will be a packed and exciting year! Various curriculum, primarily from www.walkwithmecurriculum.org and from Stone HIll Church.
CURIOUS WHAT WE OFFER FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL ON SUNDAY MORNINGS? Check out our Youth Page for that information.
Children's Church (11:30 a.m.)
During the 11:10am service, young children sit with their parents to worship together. At the offering, children ages 4 through Grade 3 are invited to Children's Church that meets in our 1st Grade classroom. Music, interactive storytelling, crafts, prayer. Parents pick up their children in the 1st Grade classroom when the service is ended.
AWANA is an international organization with over 8,000 clubs around the world, serving more than one million children. "AWANA" is an acronym for Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed, based on 2 Timothy 2:15: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." Designed to reach children for Christ and train them to know, love and serve Him, an Awana evening offers exciting games, age-appropriate Bible messages, and one-on-one help with scripture memorization.
- AWANA at Stone Hill frequently asked questions (.pdf)
- Register on-line for 2018-19
- Dues/Gear Order Form (download the Look Book for descriptions and pictures of the uniforms, handbooks, etc.)
Tentative Awana Events Calendar - 2018-19
Children age 3 through 8th Grade meet Wednesdays from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
- SEPTEMBER 2018
- 19 First regular AWANA Night - Register and Buy Books and Uniforms
- OCTOBER 2018
- 3 - Meet Gary Goodrow, AWANA Missionary
- 17 - AWANA's 26th Birthday Party!!
- 24 - Parents' Night - Come learn more about AWANA and how to help your child thrive!
- 31 - Special Dress-up Night - Come dressed as your favorite Bible character!!
- NOVEMBER 2018
- 21 No AWANA - Thanksgiving Break
- DECEMBER 2018
- 12 AWANA Store
- 19 Christmas Party
- JANUARY 2019
- 9 AWANA resumes
- 23 Sparks & T&T Winter Contests Begin
- FEBRUARY 2019
- 6 Beach Night!
- 13 Pinewood Derby Cars go on sale - $5/each. Buy one, get one free for a child outside of AWANA you invite to race
- 20 Build Night #1 - we help you cut out your child's car, car kits on sale
- 27 Final Build Night #2, car kits on sale. Sparks Winter Contest Ends
- MARCH 2019
- 2 & 3 Pinewood Derby - Check-In Night Friday 6:30-8:00pm. Races Saturday 9am to noon
- APRIL 2019
- 10 & 17 Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head Contest
- 24 - No AWANA - Spring Break
- TBD - Special Blitz Pizza Night for Sparkies to make progress completing handbooks
- MAY 2019
- 8 AWANA Store Night!
- 15 Final AWANA Night - Awards night
Racing Rules - Visit our Derby Car table. Rules will also be sent to all our AWANA parents.
Our AWANA Clubs
- Cubbies: Ages 3&4 - First steps in following Jesus. The evening includes storytime, songs, puppet show, activities and beginning Bible verses.
- Sparks: Kindergarten through 2nd Grade - Exciting game time & meaningful talks about God. Small group Bible memorization. Caring leaders.
- T&T: Grades 3-6 - Help your child develop a love for God and His Word through age-appropriate talks, relationships with loving adults, and game time that's full of surprises.
- TREK/LiTs: If your child is older than 6th grade, we have the program for you! Our TREKers have their own study time and then go on to serve as Leaders-in-Training helping our Cubbies, Sparks & TnTers.
Awana and the Awana logo are Registered Trademarks of
Stone Hill Learning Center (SHLC) offers academic support and enrichment programs for homeschooled students, Kindergarten through High School. Classes meet once a week for thirty-two weeks each year, from September through May. Students may choose to take one or more classes each week. SHLC is not a school, nor does it fulfill the NJ State requirement for a student’s schooling. Nevertheless, SHLC can provide one key component in a well-rounded education.
Regular SHLC classes are held at Stone Hill Church on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 - 3:00 p.m.
For more information, visit the Stone Hill Learning Center website or contact Kim Torquato, Director at: 609-924-3816 (x31).
Or visit us on facebook
There is no easy "how to" to walking in faith with your kids, so we have several staff dedicated to encouraging and counseling parents, who regularly send out announcements about classes and events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected.
If you want to do some reading, below are some books that have been recommended over the years:
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp
- Instructing a Child’s Heart by Tedd & Margie Tripp
- Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp
- Big Truths for Young Hearts by Bruce Ware
- Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God by Marty Machowski
- Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick
- Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting by William P. Farley
- Disciple Like Jesus: For Parents by Alan Melton
- Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie Baucham