Give us Jesus Christ, put to death for our iniquities.
As we enter this important week in the story of Stone Hill Church, I thought I would review the markers of success for the Expanding Our Serve Campaign (EOS). Strictly speaking, the financial goal of the Campaign is to raise between $2.5 and 3.5M (to be given over three years) toward the $5.7M total outstanding on our beautiful new facility. But money is only part of the story of the Campaign. Here are other ways to look for the work of God in our midst:
- Prayer: Spiritual life begins and ends with prayer. EOS will be a success if it is marked by earnest prayer and seeking of God by individuals, small groups, dorm rooms, families and as a congregation. “Lord God, how would you like me/us to participate?”
- Faith-based sacrifice: Remember the widow’s “two small copper coins” (Mark 12:42)? Before the Lord, this was a great gift, for it sprang from a faith that embraced sacrifice. For some, giving just a little will be an exercise of such faith, and it will be therefore a great sacrifice. For others, much more is required. For all of us, regardless of means, the offering of ourselves as living sacrifices to do His will is critical to our shared spiritual life (Romans 12:1-2).
- Broad-based participation: God will get great glory if EOS is marked by support from every segment of the congregation. He is praised when every member of the body contributes what is necessary for the body’s growth (Ephesians 4:16). Your leaders are praying that young, old, singles, married, undergraduates, graduate students, area residents – everyone – will participate in some way and with creative resourcefulness.
- Leadership base: Church-wide efforts like this provide opportunity for the formation of new leaders at Stone Hill. The Lord has already been bringing some forward. I look forward to others emerging.
- Soul-strengthening testimonies: Three years ago, our GO! Campaign triggered many stories of spiritual growth as God has called people to new levels of commitment and faith. May similar stories be told because of the EOS Campaign.
Please remember these markers in your prayers this week. Consider your part before God. May the Risen Lord be glorified in every way during the EOS Campaign.