Jesus Christ, our Shepherd
The REVEAL Survey
…bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God (Colossians 1:10).
“Advancing God’s mission of making dedicated followers of Jesus Christ”: that’s our purpose at Stone Hill Church. The word advancing, along with words like bearing fruit and increasing (used by the Apostle Paul above), assumes a point from which we develop. In order to get an up-to-date sense of that “point”, we recently participated in REVEAL, an online survey that provides a composite picture of the spiritual health of a congregation. By the time the survey was closed, 244 people from Stone Hill had completed it, a robust level of involvement.
Last week we received the preliminary REVEAL report. A detailed one is coming soon. Although only a summary, I am finding it to be extremely worthwhile. Here are some key observations:
- Overall, Stone Hill Church is “spiritually strong” and engages in spiritual “best practices.”
- Stone Hill has a higher proportion of people “strongly committed to Christ” than other churches that took the survey.
- Stone Hill respondents are more likely to reflect on Scripture daily than those from other survey churches.
- Respondents are more likely to have spiritual conversations with non-Christians than those from other survey churches.
- Respondents believe that our church needs to do a better job of laying out a clear pathway for spiritual growth. Similarly, we need to set clear expectations of what it means to be part of the church.
- Respondents believe we need to do more to help people develop relationships of spiritual accountability. We also need to provide more opportunities to serve those who are in need.
Input like this is extremely valuable to staff and leaders. As Senior Pastor, my desire is to see each of you become a more dedicated follower of Jesus Christ. Christian discipleship happens one-on-one, and it also happens in the aggregate, through the priorities, communications, activities, and culture of our church. So along with other leaders, I am eager to learn, change, grow, and lead through the findings of REVEAL. With the same mindset, the pastoral staff has begun analyzing the results. Discussion will then follow with the administrative staff and elders. From there we will set wise steps for change and growth at Stone Hill.