Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace;
he has reconciled us to God and one another
Whatever we sow, that also we will reap (Galatians 6:7).
Reaping faith, hope, and love over the next 10 weeks. The divisiveness of the current political scene is sowing bad seed in our society. If we are not careful, it can be sown in the church. As the spiritual leader of Stone Hill, I want us to rise above the clamor and contention. I want to do what I can to empower us to be “the Church,” the body of Christ, the hope of the world, a light to the nations.
Intentions require a plan, and a plan requires action. So let me fill you in on the big picture and some specifics of a three-part plan. With the help of God’s Spirit, the plan is designed to help us, Christ’s body, live out the gospel
during the election season. There are three phases to it:
- General preparation: 8 weeks, from September 6 to November 1;
- Focused prayer and fasting: the week leading up to the election, November 1 through 8;
- Reception of election results with faith, hope, and love: the 2 weeks between November 8 and 22.
We are already well into the first phase, General Preparation. Here are some of the emphases and events that you can expect between now and the end of October:
- Thursday, September 22: the launch of 40 Days of Prayer, an initiative that leads up to the November 8 election. Daily tweet-sized prayer guides will be sent to those who sign up, six days a week, Monday-Saturday. Print resources for prayer will be provided during October.
- Friday, September 23, 7:00-10:00: Cry Out! A non-partisan simulcast at Stone Hill that will bring together thousands of women in thousands of locations, crying out to God for merciful intervention in our world, nation, churches, cities, and homes.
- Friday evening and Saturday, October 7-8: the inaugural Gospel Coalition Mid-Atlantic Conference. Plenary sessions, worship, prayer, and breakout tracks will equip you for understanding “The Church: God’s Glory in a Darkening and Dividing Culture.”
- Sundays, October 9, 16, 23: the morning messages will strengthen our church’s calling to be a light to the nations.
- Sundays, October 30, November 6, 13, 20: adult education class (9:30) on “Two Cities: living in our time with authentic faith, hope, and love.”