Jesus came to rescue the broken: He said,
"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”
Prayer for Pastors (part 3)
Two weeks ago I began a series of columns on praying for our pastoral leaders. We all face challenges in our vocations; I don’t want to sound like those of our pastoral staff are extraordinary. But the church is a spiritual body with designated leaders, and I think it’s wise for us to pray for them. Here, then, is the second half of a weekly prayer guide, adapted from material by Darold Lyles, Murfreesboro, TN. Though I’ve framed the requests with me in mind, you can make adjustments as you pray for other pastoral leaders at Stone Hill.
WEDNESDAY: I pray for my pastor as a PASTOR.
- I pray that, as he leads, prays, counsels, visits, participates in meetings, and serves in a variety of ways, the Holy Spirit may encourage and comfort souls.
- I pray that he will model the strength and compassion of the Good Shepherd toward our congregation, staff, and leaders.
THURSDAY: I pray for my pastor as a PROPHET.
- I pray as he prepares his sermons. May the Word of God be fully revealed to his heart. May he wisely interpret, apply, and handle it in his preaching.
- I pray that the vision God has for our church will be clear to him and communicated well through him.
- I pray that he will live, speak, and act on behalf of God’s righteousness and mercy as a community leader.
FRIDAY: I pray for my pastor as an EVANGELIST.
- I pray that God will deepen in him a heart for those without Christ. May God open doors and grant him courage to share the good news.
- I pray that God will use him to equip the church family to share the good news. May he help us do our part in advancing God’s mission of making dedicated followers of Jesus Christ.
SATURDAY: I pray for my pastor as a DISCIPLE OF JESUS CHRIST.
- I pray that he will discover deeper understanding of God’s Word. And may he balance Word and deed as he follows Jesus.
- I pray that his spiritual growth would not be in isolation. Grant him deep and supportive fellowship with other brothers and sisters.
- I pray that when he stands before God in the final day, he will be found faithful.