Let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe.
You will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:29).
Karen and I begin an extended sabbatical this Saturday, June 9. In last week’s Pastor to People, I described some of our activities and goals. Today, I thought I would handle a potpourri of odds and ends as we all prepare for my absence.
· It is my delight to hand the pulpit over to Pastors Tracy and Jin. They will be preaching through the Book of 1 Peter during the summer. I return to the pulpit in mid-August: six-weeks sabbatical, one week at Stone Hill, and then two weeks for Ristuccia family vacation.
· While I am gone, this weekly column will be discontinued. It will resume in August, shortly after I return.
· Over the next three weeks (June 10, 17, 24), our worship services will include a short report offering thanksgiving for what the Lord has done at Stone Hill over the past year. It is “good and right” to honor Him with public gratitude for what He accomplishes in, among, and through us. So I have asked members of the staff to organize these times of thanksgiving. I hope your faith is encouraged; I hope Jesus, the Head of the Church, is honored.
· People have asked me how they can pray. Here are two simple ideas:
How to pray for Pastor Matt’s and Karen’s sabbatical
1. Pray for rest and re-creation: physical, spiritual, emotional. Matthew 11:28-30.
2. Pray for renewal of faith, vision, and spiritual power. Ephesians 3:14-21.
· You are our faith family. Karen and I will miss you during our time away. We will also miss some exciting events that will take place during our absence, including VBS Camp, Stone Hill Arts finale with comedian Jeff Harms (yes, Virginia, comedy is an art form!), and the summer book club organized by the Koinonia Team, to name just a few.
· While I am away, you will hear about a special giving initiative called “Funding Our Mission.” Details will follow, but, courtesy of the church app, Karen and I will be participating joyfully and sacrificially even though we are absent.
· Finally, remember that you can always contact the church office with questions you might usually ask me. Grace and peace to all!
Youth Director Candidate: Stop by the Library after either service to meet and greet Michael Sentance.
Adult Ed: A Direct Reading of Creation and its Support: An exploration of the biblical account of creation and corroborating evidences in science and culture. This course will be led by Gunter and Sarah Schemmann. The creation of the heavens and the earth is described in the Bible in much detail. The biblical account presents a picture consistent with man present from the beginning and different kinds of plants and animals directly created by God. We will examine scriptural and observational foundations vs naturalism to present an exposition of the word of God as the Schemmanns understand it. This class will meet at 9:30 a.m. in the Adult Ed room the first three Sundays of June.
Sunday School Celebration: Sunday, June 10 at 12:30 p.m. in Harris Hall. All Sunday school kids, their families, and our Sunday school teachers, please join us to celebrate our Sunday school year. We'll have a delicious lunch and a time to thank our teachers, award our 2nd graders their Bibles, and share the good things God has been doing among us this year.
Summer Sunday School: Begins June 17 and continues until September 9. Children stay in their same grades until September 16 when all our classes move up. Kids can check the Welcome Desk for their class locations.
The Loop: Are you in the Loop? Our online directory is now new and improved. Please log on to update your profile photo, family photo, and privacy features.
Stone Hill Learning Center is looking for an individual to teach two writing classes next fall-spring. The classes will be offered on Wednesday morning for elementary aged students (3rd-5th grade) and Wednesday afternoon for middle school students (6th-8th grade). The individual must have a 4-year college degree, have previous teaching experience with children, and be a committed Christian. As an employee of Stone Hill Church, all SHLC teachers must agree with the doctrinal statement of the church. For more information, please contact Kim Torquato, Director at: email@example.com
Baby Bottle Campaign: We are still accepting baby bottles. Please don't forget to return your filled baby bottles to the Welcome Desk or church office by the end of the week. The money raised will then be forwarded to ChoiceOne.
Men’s Freedom Group: Meets on Friday nights. The Freedom Group is a support and encouragement group for men committed to a lifestyle of sexual integrity through the power of the gospel by addressing the lies of our sex-saturated society and its impact on our hearts. We know that we need each other. Do you need a few brothers, who understand, to walk with you confidentially in your struggle? To learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parking: Thank you to everyone who used our Satellite Parking at 800 Bunn Drive. This was a big help with our parking issues for our 9:30 a.m. services. Since attendance is typically lower during the summer, we will suspend use of the satellite parking beginning Sunday, June 10. Shuttle service and the use of 800 Bunn Drive for satellite parking will resume on Sunday, September 9.
Summer Service Opportunities
Summer Sunday School Teachers: PreK through 5th Grade – June-August (full or part-time). Be a part of great lessons and great kids with this great opportunity! Please contact Mary McCormack at email@example.com.
Nursery Volunteers: Sunday mornings 9:30 a.m. and 11:10 a.m. We need extra hands to gently care for our newest & sweetest little ones. Please contact Melissa Johnsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children’s Church Helpers: 11:10 a.m. service. Tell stories, sing music, and make crafts with great kids. Please contact Betsy Ferrer at email@example.com.
Camp Crew Leaders: Week of July 9-13. We are looking for a few good volunteers to lead and guide our campers through a fun and exciting week of gospel exploration. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. We are here to help. Preschool program and childcare available for children of all who volunteer. To register log onto https://tinyurl.com/shccampvolunteer2018.
Bakers Needed: Do you like to bake? Please consider baking for one of Stone Hill's upcoming events. *IMPORTANT-Please let Grace know at email@example.com.
June 10- cookies (3-4 doz) for the Sunday School Celebration
June 16- pie, cake for the Stone Hill Arts event
June 24- sweet bread for the Café